Dr. Ricardo Ferreira, MD, chair of this 5th ISIN Congress, is Assistant Physician at the Orthopedic and Traumatology Institute of the University of São Paulo – IOM Program – Spine Surgery Group.
He was born in the south of Brazil, in the city of Rio Grande, where he completed his graduation in medicine at the Federal University of Rio Grande in the year 1984. Physiatrist and Neurophysiologist, he is a formal member of Brazilian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-ISPRM and Brazilian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology-IFCN.
After his specialization,he begins working in the city of São Paulo in 1988. In 1990 he was invited to coordinate the Neurophysiology Department of the Association for Assistance to Disable Child – AACD. In this institution he began as autodidact to do IOM procedures in Scoliosis, Tethered Cord and Selective Posterior Rhizotomy surgeries in 1995. From 1995 to 2001 using only EMG and SSEPs tests. In 2001, he introduces in Brazil MEPs with trans-cranial electric stimulation.
In 1997, he began a voluntary work in IOM cooperating with the largest Universities of São Paulo: UNIFESP, UNICAMP, USP and the Santa Casa University and their Spine Surgery Groups. He also started teaching IOM, providing training for physicians and technologists in Brazil and Latin America. He records 26 professionals in Brazil from 10 different states and 13 Latin American professionals from 8 different countries.
His focuses in the field of IOM are: Peripheral Nerves and Spine surgeries; Deformities, Fractures, Vertebral Tumors, Lumbar and Cervical Stenosis; Minimal Invasive Surgeries, Tethered Cord, Selective Posterior Rhizotomy and Spinal Cord Tumors. His group nowadays includes 8 physicians and 2 technologists, who carry out about 2000 cases per year.
He is a founding member of the Chapter of IOM of the Brazilian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology BSCN/2005 and the Special Interest Group of IOM in the Latin American Chapter of IFCN/2009. Chair of the 1st Brazilian Workshop on IOM during the VIII Journey of Clinical Neurophysiology of BSCN in 2000 and the 1st Brazilian Symposium of IOM during the 20th Congress of BSCN in 2005. Actively participated in Symposia of IOM CLA-IFCN: Secretary Uruguay/2007, Chair Brazil/2009 and Secretary Argentina/2013. Participates as faculty of Congresses and Symposia of CLA-IFCN since 2002 and the Courses and Congresses of ISIN since 2012. He was a member of the educational Committee of the ISIN from 2012 to 2014. He created the Latin American Intraoperative Neurophysiology Institute, focusing in Continuing Education of their former trainees and in an online program, to support each other daily during their cases by WhatsApp.
Author of IOM Chapters in following books:
1) “Monitoring Intraoperative Neurophysiological in Spinal Surgeries” Book: Rehabilitation Medicine – Edited T. R. Chamlian Guanabara Koogan – 2010 pgs 24-41
2) “Indications and Techniques of Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring for the Otolaryngologist” Book: PRO-DSB – Upgrade Program in Otorhinolaryngology -ABORL – Edited: S. da Costa Panamericana – 2012 pgs technique 57-62
3) “Intraoperative Neurophysiology” Book: The Vertebral Column – Basic concepts – Spine Brazilian Society – Editors: E. Pudles; H. L. A. Defino Editora Artmed-2012 pgs: 94
4) “Neurophysiology applied to Spine” Book: Clinical of Spine – UNIFESP – Authors: Martins, Puertas and Wajchenberg Publisher Atheneu – 2014 pgs: 39-56
5) “Stem Cells and their Applications in Spinal Cord Injured Patients” Book: Stem Cells collection of therapeutic protocols – Edited C. M. Massumoto, Publisher : Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz and Atheneu-2014 pgs: 347-360